- Advertisement -
Home Sports No delay to Australian Open despite fourth positive COVID case

No delay to Australian Open despite fourth positive COVID case

- Advertisement -

MELBOURNE, Australia, Jan 17 – Australian Open chief Craig Tiley insisted Sunday the Grand Slam would begin as scheduled next month, while admitting it was “not a great situation” for the 47 players who have been confined to their hotel rooms.

The tournament was thrown into disarray on Saturday when three people tested positive to Covid-19 on two of the 17 charter flights bringing players and their entourages to Melbourne and Adelaide.

A fourth person, a member of a broadcast team on one of the same flights, from Los Angeles, tested positive Sunday.

None were players, although one was Sylvain Bruneau, coach of Canada’s 2019 US Open winner Bianca Andreescu. Another was also a coach, although they were not identified.

Everyone on board was considered to be close contacts and ordered not to leave their hotel rooms for the 14-day mandatory quarantine period.

It means 47 players will not be allowed out to train for five hours a day as previously agreed in the build-up to the opening Grand Slam of the year, which is due to start on February 8.

The likes of Victoria Azarenka, Sloane Stephens, Kei Nishikori and Angelique Kerber are believed to among those affected, badly impacting their preparations.

(opens in a new tab)about:blankAdd titleNo delay to Australian Open despite fourth positive Covid case

MELBOURNE, Australia, Jan 17 – Australian Open chief Craig Tiley insisted Sunday the Grand Slam would begin as scheduled next month, while admitting it was “not a great situation” for the 47 players who have been confined to their hotel rooms.

The tournament was thrown into disarray on Saturday when three people tested positive to Covid-19 on two of the 17 charter flights bringing players and their entourages to Melbourne and Adelaide.

A fourth person, a member of a broadcast team on one of the same flights, from Los Angeles, tested positive Sunday.

None were players, although one was Sylvain Bruneau, coach of Canada’s 2019 US Open winner Bianca Andreescu. Another was also a coach, although they were not identified.

Everyone on board was considered to be close contacts and ordered not to leave their hotel rooms for the 14-day mandatory quarantine period.

It means 47 players will not be allowed out to train for five hours a day as previously agreed in the build-up to the opening Grand Slam of the year, which is due to start on February 8.

The likes of Victoria Azarenka, Sloane Stephens, Kei Nishikori and Angelique Kerber are believed to among those affected, badly impacting their preparations.

Three positive tests on two flights mean 47 players have been confined to their rooms for 14 days and will not be allowed out to train after arriving in Melbourne for next month’s Australian Open

“We always knew there would be significant risk with this pandemic, you can never tell,” Tiley told Channel Nine television.

“But the Australian Open is going ahead and we will continue to do the best we possibly can to ensure those players that have what is not a great situation, one that is somewhat acceptable.”

Organisers quashed rumours about a positive case on one of the two flights to Adelaide carrying some of the game’s biggest names.

While most players touched down in Melbourne, superstars including Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams and Naomi Osaka instead flew into the South Australian city.

– Risks made clear –

Several players, including Sorana Cirstea and Belinda Bencic, took to social media to complain about not being able to train, with some claiming they were not told about a hard lockdown if one person tested positive.

“If they would have told us this rule before i would not play Australia,” tweeted Romania’s Cirstea, and Kazakhstan’s Yulia Putintseva agreed: “I would think twice before coming here,” she said.World number one Novak Djokovic arriving in Adelaide where he will quarantine ahead of his Australian Open defence next month © AFP / Brenton EDWARDS

Tiley admitted it was hard, but said they were made aware of the risks.

“We did make it very clear at the beginning, that’s why we had the player groups in cohorts, there was always a risk that someone would be positive and have to go into 14 days of isolation,” he said.

“There was a risk on the plane that you would be a close contact, there was a risk that everyone could be a close contact.”

Some players have already breached the strict lockdown rules by opening their doors.

Victoria state Covid-19 quarantine commissioner Emma Cassar warned they faced fines of up to Aus$20,000 (US$15,300) and persistent offenders risked being sent to another hotel with a police officer stationed outside their door.

She cited one player “who opened his door to try and have a conversation with his training mate down the hallway”, while another bought takeaway food for friends on the same floor “and was praising his great efforts and opened his door to do so”.

“It is really low-level but really dangerous acts which we just can’t tolerate,” Cassar said.

Tiley said he was doing what he could to ensure affected players had exercise equipment in their rooms.

But he acknowledged they would struggle to be ready for a week of lead-in tournaments to start in Melbourne from January 31.

Asked if the 47 players would miss those events, he replied: “They have not been ruled out. Obviously at this point, they are not going to get on-court preparation.Australian tennis player Bernard Tomic exercises in his hotel room in Melbourne on Sunday as players undergo quarantine ahead of the Australian Open © AFP / William WEST

“If we have to make some adjustments to the schedule we will do whatever we can to make it an environment that is best for the players.”

The Australian Open had already been hit by the withdrawal of injured Roger Federer, while world number 16 Madison Keys and three-time major winner Andy Murray both tested positive for the virus before departure so did not board their flights to Australia.

Enter your video or audio embed code.

Add a custom featured headline that will be displayed in the featured slider.
Social Media Image Add Image

Optimal size for post shared images on Facebook, Google+ and LinkedIn is 1200px x 630px. Aspect ratio 1.9:1 Social Media Title95 Characters Remaining

This title is used by the open graph meta tag og:title and will be used when users share your content on Facebook, LinkedIn, or Google+. Leave this blank to use Yoast Facebook / SEO title Social Media Description297 Characters Remaining

This description is used by the open graph meta tag og:description and will be used when users share your content on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Google Plus. Leave this blank to use Yoast Facebook open graph description or the post excerpt.

Pinterest Image Add Image

Pinned images need to be more vertical than horizontal in orientation. Use an aspect ratio of 2:3 to 1:3.5 and a minimum width of 600 pixels. So an image that is 600 pixels wide should be between 900 and 2100 pixels tall. Pinterest Description

Place a customized message that will be used when this post is shared on Pinterest. Leave this blank to use the Yoast SEO title Custom Tweet243 Characters Remaining

Based on your username @CapitalFMSport ,the shortened post url and the current content above your tweet has a maximum of 140 characters. If this is left blank the Yoast Twitter Title or post title will be used. Share Button Position Open Graph Type

This is used by the open graph meta tag og:type. Leave this blank to use the default value “article”.

If galleries don’t work, then change the compatibility setting here. Need help? Click here for Support

Gallery style

Please insert a reviews template before adding a new comparison table.

 

 

“We always knew there would be significant risk with this pandemic, you can never tell,” Tiley told Channel Nine television.

“But the Australian Open is going ahead and we will continue to do the best we possibly can to ensure those players that have what is not a great situation, one that is somewhat acceptable.”

Organisers quashed rumours about a positive case on one of the two flights to Adelaide carrying some of the game’s biggest names.

While most players touched down in Melbourne, superstars including Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams and Naomi Osaka instead flew into the South Australian city.

– Risks made clear –

Several players, including Sorana Cirstea and Belinda Bencic, took to social media to complain about not being able to train, with some claiming they were not told about a hard lockdown if one person tested positive.

“If they would have told us this rule before i would not play Australia,” tweeted Romania’s Cirstea, and Kazakhstan’s Yulia Putintseva agreed: “I would think twice before coming here,” she said.

Tiley admitted it was hard, but said they were made aware of the risks.

“We did make it very clear at the beginning, that’s why we had the player groups in cohorts, there was always a risk that someone would be positive and have to go into 14 days of isolation,” he said.

“There was a risk on the plane that you would be a close contact, there was a risk that everyone could be a close contact.”

Some players have already breached the strict lockdown rules by opening their doors.

Victoria state Covid-19 quarantine commissioner Emma Cassar warned they faced fines of up to Aus$20,000 (US$15,300) and persistent offenders risked being sent to another hotel with a police officer stationed outside their door.

She cited one player “who opened his door to try and have a conversation with his training mate down the hallway”, while another bought takeaway food for friends on the same floor “and was praising his great efforts and opened his door to do so”.

“It is really low-level but really dangerous acts which we just can’t tolerate,” Cassar said.

Tiley said he was doing what he could to ensure affected players had exercise equipment in their rooms.

But he acknowledged they would struggle to be ready for a week of lead-in tournaments to start in Melbourne from January 31.

Asked if the 47 players would miss those events, he replied: “They have not been ruled out. Obviously at this point, they are not going to get on-court preparation.

“If we have to make some adjustments to the schedule we will do whatever we can to make it an environment that is best for the players.”

The Australian Open had already been hit by the withdrawal of injured Roger Federer, while world number 16 Madison Keys and three-time major winner Andy Murray both tested positive for the virus before departure so did not board their flights to Australia.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Stay Connected

16,985FansLike
2,458FollowersFollow
61,453SubscribersSubscribe

Must Read

Tushop Online – TUXEVO – The Leading Online Shopping Marketplace

Tushop Online - TUXEVO is an e-commerce platform made up of small businesses offering a wide variety of consumer products in Kenya. Buy all...
- Advertisement -

Best Online Shopping site in Kenya: Tushop Online – TUXEVO

Best Online Shopping site in Kenya: Mobile Hub Kenya Are you looking for a new Mobile phone or a new gadget to upgrade your collection? Are...

Who will blink first in Kibicho, Sonko brawl?

The case pitting former Nairobi Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko against Interior Principal Secretary (PS) Karanja Kibicho is far from over with both parties flexing...

KANU Mt. Kenya chapter dismisses letter to Uhuru by 41 MPs

Former ruling party, Kenya African National Union (KANU) Mt. Kenya chapter has dismissed 41 MPs from the region who wrote a letter to President...

Related News

Tushop Online – TUXEVO – The Leading Online Shopping Marketplace

Tushop Online - TUXEVO is an e-commerce platform made up of small businesses offering a wide variety of consumer products in Kenya. Buy all...

Best Online Shopping site in Kenya: Tushop Online – TUXEVO

Best Online Shopping site in Kenya: Mobile Hub Kenya Are you looking for a new Mobile phone or a new gadget to upgrade your collection? Are...

Who will blink first in Kibicho, Sonko brawl?

The case pitting former Nairobi Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko against Interior Principal Secretary (PS) Karanja Kibicho is far from over with both parties flexing...

KANU Mt. Kenya chapter dismisses letter to Uhuru by 41 MPs

Former ruling party, Kenya African National Union (KANU) Mt. Kenya chapter has dismissed 41 MPs from the region who wrote a letter to President...
- Advertisement -
%d bloggers like this: